The Fife Artillery in WW1
Artillery played a huge part in the First World War and so it is not surprising to see several units assoiciated with the County during the War.
Many of these units would be used in their traditional home coastal defence roles, more tactically important now with the new Naval Base recently finished at Rosyth.
The costal batteries along the Forth and Tay were dramatically strengthened during the war, which I will be covering in more detail later.
A British Heavy Gun in action, official photograph taken from the Library of Congress website
The Fife Royal Garrison Artillery
Highland (Fifeshire) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF)
Formed in 1908, with its Ammunition Column from the 1st Fifeshire R.G.A. (V) with headquarters at Kirkcaldy, became 1st/1st Highland (Fifeshire) Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF) when the second line unit was formed in 1914, headquarters moved to Dunfermline.
1915-18 France very briefly assigned to the 51st Highland Division (april-may 1915) then joined IV Brigade HA
2nd/1st Highland (Fifeshire) Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF)
Formed as a seond line unit to the above in 1914, with its Ammunition Column from the 1st Fifeshire R.G.A. (V)
1914-18 UK initially in the 64th (2nd Highland) Division
North Scottish, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF)
Formed in 1908 from personnel from 1st Aberdeen, 1st Fifeshire, 1st Forfarshire and The Highland R.G.A. (V). It was a Defended Ports Unit of 3 companies with Headquarters at Broughty Ferry
Shoulder title T/RGA/N.SCOTTISH
Served in the UK 1914-18
Forth, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF)
Formed in 1908 as Forth & Clyde R.G.A. with 8 companies, from personnel from the 1st Renfrew & Dumbarton R.G.A.(V) and the 1st Argyll R.G.A.(V) as a defended ports unit with Headquaters at Edinburgh.
In 1910 seperated from Clyde and became FORTH R.G.A. (TF)
In 1914 the Headquarters moved to North Queensferry where they would remain throughout the war.
Served in the UK 1914-18
The Fife Royal Field Artillery
2nd Highland Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (TF)
Formed in 1908 with 2 batteries from part of the 1st Forfarshire R.G.A. (V) and 1 Battery from part of the 1st Fifeshire R.G.A. (V), Headquarters at Dundee.
Became 1st/2nd Highland Brigade R.F.A. (TF) in 1914 when the second line unit was formed. In 1916 it was numbered 256th Brigade R.F.A. (TF)
1915-18 France with the 51st Highland Division
2nd/2nd Highland Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (TF))
Formed as a second line unit to the above in 1914, renumbered as 321st BRIGADE R.F.A. (TF) in 1916, disbanded after the war in 1919
Served in the UK 1914-18 in the 64th (2nd Highland) Division
The Highland Brigade had different shoulder titles for each battery
- T/RFA/FORFAR - worn by the Forfarshire Battery and Brigade HQ.
- T/RFA/FIFESHIRE - worn by the Fifeshire Battery
- T/RFA/CITY OF DUNDEE - Dundee Battery
- T/RFA/HIGHLAND - worn by the Ammunition Column.
Links and further reading
For help understanding the vast complexities of the British Army during WW1 The Long Long Trail is a great place for Genealagists their Artillery page here
The Territorial Artillery 1908-1988 by Norman Litchfield is an impressive look at the whole of the Territorial Artillery